Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Chi Chi Chi !!!

Yes I watched “Bend It like Beckham” and being an avid (and at times rabid) Liverpool fan I had to watch it with scepticism. As a sociologist their portrayal of female sport was not the best they were portrayed primarily as sex symbols secondly as athletes. This is shown in the fact that the practice with no shirts on, in sports bras and play in the sprinklers. It reminds of Sep Blater’s (head of FIFA) comments when asked how to promote woman’s soccer – his response “wear shorter shorts” was not helpful. I mean do people really watch woman’ tennis because of the level of competition or is it the tall, blonde teenage Russian super-models?
Anyway the movie on the whole is pretty cool init. I like the “so the offside rule is when the mustard is between the sea-salt and the French dressing?”
I can relate to Jezz, not because I am Indian but because I played Hockey and never felt that my family supported me. I was in about standard 3 when I was playing hockey but I had to bike to my own games and the only time my dad came to games was when they were at Hagley Park and James was playing soccer at the same time. I remember coming home from a game where I had done really well i had scorred a couple of goals. My dad was in the garage working on the car I excited spurted the details of the games and he didn’t even say anything. I went inside and mum - having limited knowledge of any sport - asked me all about the game. It got worse when my brother and sister started doing athletics not only did dad go every Saturday, but he trained as an athletics official. He went with them to national and provincials. We even took a holiday to Invers’ to support them at an event. I felt very dejected, and I try to convince myself I got over it but it was for me just the icing on the cake in trying to get my dad’s attention a battle I was pursing for 15 years before I gave up.
LATERS

2 Comments:

Blogger Woody said...

I must say that womens tennis is one of the few sports I prefer to watch over the mens equivalent. That's due to to fact that in womens tennis they actually have rallies rather than Sampras ace after ace after ace.

J

2:22 AM  
Blogger Steve-a-saurus said...

"rallies" eh two sheds? we know the real reason and it starts with Sherapoanova.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home